Worcestershire County Council’s contractors will be undertaking investigation works along the A4104, a key road in and out of the town, ahead of the major scheme to raise the road later this year.
The works, which include digging trial holes to confirm the ground conditions, will take place between Monday, July 24 and August 6.
This coincides with the 10th anniversary of the 2007 floods, when Worcestershire was hit by some of the worst floods in memory.
Over 4,700 homes and businesses were impacted by the floods. The damage to Worcestershire’s economy was also considerable, with many businesses affected, as well as disruption to highway and transport infrastructures, bringing costs totalling millions of pounds.
Since then, Worcestershire County Council has invested £16million into flood risk management and drainage improvements, implemented hundreds of highway drainage schemes and worked with communities to help develop their flood resilience, amongst many other things.
The main bulk of the work in Upton is due to start in the autumn. The primary purpose of the project, which is due to be completed in Spring 2018, is to reduce the likelihood of the road being closed in the future due to flooding.
In 2007, Upton upon Severn was so badly hit that it was affectively reduced to an island. More recently in 2014, the road had to be closed for several days due to flooding and the only way to access the town was by boat or army truck.
The scheme in Upton is one of a programme of large schemes to reduce the risk of flooding on key sections of the highway network to keep residents and businesses moving and keep Worcestershire open for business. It is also the latest of several hundred flood alleviation and drainage schemes implemented by the county council since 2007.
It is being funded mainly by Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership (WLEP).
From Monday next week, traffic lights will be in operation during the first few days of the works but they will only be in place during off-peak hours to minimise any disruption.
Cllr Tony Miller, Cabinet Member with Responsibility for the Environment, said: “So much has been done across Worcestershire since the devastating floods in 2007, benefitting homes and businesses.
“Nothing can fully eradicate the chances of further flooding but this scheme will help to reduce the risk in Upton by a considerable amount.
“The start of these works is good news for the people of Upton who were so badly affected in 2007 and then again in 2014.”
Cllr Alan Amos, Cabinet Member with Responsibility for Highways, said: “The floods in 2007 caused untold damage to homes and businesses, as well as to the highway and transport networks.
“Local residents have wanted this for some time and it will help to keep the town open for business which is what everyone wants.
“We will ensure that disruption throughout the scheme is kept to a minimum and we will continue to speak to residents and businesses so they know exactly what is happening and when.”
Gary Woodman, Chief Executive of Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership, said: “We are delighted that work is now underway on the flood prevention scheme in Upton upon Severn.
“We are investing a total of £4million of Government’s Growth Deal funds into tackling flooding hot-spots across the county, helping to reduce traffic congestions and the adverse economic impact of flooding across Worcestershire.”
More information about how to check the risk to your property, ideas for reducing the risk of flooding and details about Flood Risk Management can be found on the Worcestershire County Council website.